the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Sunday, December 07, 2008

recycling house character

I am so psyched. We recently picked up a vintage Victorian entry door from a secondhand store that was removed from an old 1885 property that was going through an extensive remodel. It has gorgeous woodwork details on the outside and although it is missing the glass, seems to be in good restorable shape. We plan on using it for our new home in the woods, if we can ever get our current house sold. The market isn't looking so great right now, and it has been several weeks since we had a showing. Of course, the real estate market tends to be slow this time of the year anyways, even without our current national economy in the toilet.

The door set me back $100, plus the cost of gas to drive 2 hours to pick it up, but according to the general contractor that we had working on our house, these types of doors routinely sell for much more. So I think we got a great deal on it. We'll probably have to replace the door hardware, or at the least have it re-keyed. I can't tell if the rust on the knob is only surface deep or if it warrants replacement. I'll know more when I have some time to start stripping the old finish off.

It just goes to show you, though. I could easily spend a few thousand dollars on a solid hardwood door if I were to purchase it brand new. Instead, I'm estimating that it will run me less than $200 to refinish it and equip it with new hardware. Plus, this will add a nice amount of historic character to the house!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home