the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

when I grow up...

One of the things that I seem to struggle with daily is the fact that I still haven't figured out what I wan to do when I "grow up". If you've been reading this blog for any small length of time, you have probably noticed that this is a recurring theme. This may sound silly coming from a grown man in his thirties, but I'm dead serious about it. I like being self-employed, and web design is a fun and challenging field at times, but overall it doesn't really excite me as much as I had hoped it would. I find that the projects that I enjoy the most are the ones in which I am designing or programming something for myself. I have found over the years that I don't like altering good design work at someone else's lay request, and I don't enjoy trying to impress people or brown-nose. Of course, it beats the typical corporate employment hands down, but that doesn't means that it is perfect by any means.

One of the challenges that I am facing is this budding interest in becoming more of a luddite; someone who avoids unnecessary technological development. I find the lives of the Amish and Mennonite truly fascinating and, short of ditching my favorite CDs, could almost see myself living and working among them. Of course, the transition from white collar tech existence to blue collar farm hand might be difficult. I suspect that I am looking for more of a balance between my current form of existence and one that is more simplified. Of course, one can dream all he likes, but he never knows whether he will thrive in a particular lifestyle until he immerses himself in it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home