the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Friday, November 21, 2008

the sponsored body

"Wardrobe by Ralph Lauren. Body by Phentermine."


Who Cares?

Am I the only one who is getting sick of these pretentious advertisements that feel the need to tell us what clothes some Hollywood debutante is wearing, or what miracle drug she took to squeeze into them?

Why does America care so much? Haven't we been around marketing spin long enough to realize that buying the same products as the rich and famous isn't going to transform us to their level? Who are these morons that prefer to live vicariously through some airbrushed model on the sun-tempered coast?

I'd like to say that I have hope for the future; that our own children will evolve from this state of self-loathing and try to live up to their full potential, unshackling themselves from the ridiculous chains of high fashion and "taste". But I'd be lying. When I look around, I see children who are nothing more than clones of their confused parents. Their mommy wants designer clothes, so they must have them too. Daddy buys the latest techno-crap, and will eventually pass it down to his son. A true (micro) chip off th old block.

Sorry, I guess I'm in a mood today, but occasionally I see an advertisement that just sets me off. Somebody pass the soma. I promise to behave...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home