the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, October 23, 2008

the new script-writers

Over the years, movies have been written based on novels, true stories, short stories, historical events...even poetry and music. Today, it would appear that comic book writers are taking the lead. Although the Batman and Superman films of the 80s and early 90s were popular, nothing could have prepared us for the rash of comic book inspired films we are seeing lately. Comic books have been around since the late 19th century. Talk about an endless supply of source material!

I just wonder if people will eventually tire of the novelty behind these films. After all, who could have thought that there would be yet another approach at making the Batman films, after we saw Michelle Pfeiffer, Danny Devito, et. al. play their roles so superbly?

I have to admit that I have been very impressed with the Spiderman movies thus far. They do a very good job at evoking the essence of the original comics and even after the third sequel seem to not have lost much steam. I wish I could say the same for the Superman movies starring Christopher Reeves. Did you know that there was a Superman IV? I had no idea, until I picked up at the local library a few days ago. Now I wish I hadn't. It was absolutely horrible - perhaps THE worst comic book inspired film I have ever seen. It had most of the same actors from Superman I, and yet the script, effects, action, and plot were pathetic. It was as if they were milking the character to death, but had no funding or concept to drive the movie. I can only hope that the new Spiderman and Batman movies don't suffer a similar fate, or it could turn off the American public from comic book movies altogether. Then again, the American movie-going public on the whole seems to be quite forgiving.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home