the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, October 23, 2008

is public internet dependable enough?

When we sell our house, I am not planning on getting internet service at our new home. Instead, I would like to go to the library when I need to be online. It's something of an experiment, and I'm not really sure if it will work since (as a web designer) I depend on the internet for my income. The way I see it, there are several challenges to this idea...

First, I need to be able to commute to the library when I want to work. We only have one vehicle, so there will be times when I will walk or ride my bike. It's only about a mile, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Second, the library will theoretically serve as my office away from home. This may not work so well. The library doesn't allow cellphone conversations, so I may have to step outside to carry on a discussion with a client. Also, there's always a chance that there won't be an open desk available for me to sit at. In that case, I could always work outside while sitting on a bench, but then I'll be working off the laptop battery. The screen is difficult to see in the sun, and it's even worse when it is on power-save mode (which makes the screen dimmer).

Third, I will be using a public internet connection, which means there is always the possibility of my information being compromised while it is riding their network. I suppose that this could also open me up to viruses via their network.

And finally, I will be dependent on their connection. If it goes down, my productivity for the day will be shot. Granted, this is no different than if the connection goes down on my home line. I don't know if the library would have more or less pull at getting their internet service restored than I would.

Looking at these possible problems, I'm going to have to seriously consider if working at the library will be a viable idea or not. It will easily save me $75 a month to not have my own internet connection, but it may cost me business in the long run. Maybe I'll get lucky and find an unencrypted wireless connection that I can hop on, courtesy of our new neighbors.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home