the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

the problem with insurance is...

Hmmm...where to start? Or even better, where to end...if ever?

We're currently dealing with our homeowner's insurance company over a storm-related damage claim. As a result, I am a little annoyed at some of the service I am receiving. It took forever for the adjuster to call us, and then it took a week for him to inspect the damage and write up an estimate. All I want is for my home to look and function the same as it did before the storm. I'm not trying to rip anybody off, commit fraud, or make money off of the claim. The adjuster had no doubts that our claim is legitimate, but he's giving me enough pushback on exactly where their coverage ends.

So we're battling it out, pushing for a better resolution of our problems. I have been told that this is all part of the game that they play, and that it is very common. But if we don't get that resolution, what should we do? Switch insurance companies when this whole debacle is over? Doesn't the insurance company understand that by making us want to jump ship they are never going to get enough insurance premiums from us to pay for these repairs? Isn't it in their best interest to treat us well and retain us as customers?

Homeowner's insurance is tricky. You don't know what kind of support you're going to get until something bad happens. And unlike shopping for other types of insurance, it seems that there isn't as much variance in the premiums when you compare prices. If I'm trying to insure my car, I can do a quick auto insurance comparison and the differences between each insurance company are plain to see - quite black and white. Homeowners policies aren't as transparent, though, and I would suspect that agents will promise the world to get you to sign up. What I really dislike is when something happens to a car or home that you have coverage on, and your agent tries to convince you that filing a claim isn't in your best interest. They might suggest that your premium may go up, or that the insurance company "doesn't like it" when you take advantage of a certain type of coverage, such as auto glass. Personally, I think that is a load of crap. You pay for insurance so that you have coverage in the event of a loss. If you're not going to use it, why pay for it?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home