the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, September 20, 2008

kids clothing - the ultimate expensive disposable

Our kids seem to burn through clothes in a few months, if we're lucky. You would think that the small amount of fabric would mean that clothes are proportionally cheaper than their adult sized counterparts. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. My kids haven't gotten old enough to start demanding name brands yet, but I am dreading the day. I hope that my kids instead get bit by the thrift store bug, and pick up the funky fabrics of yesterday to invent their own wardrobe. That's what I started doing by the age of 16, since my mother had no clue how I wanted to dress.

For our kids, I am fortunate that my wife knows how to sew. She has savhttp://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=33669414
Blogger: The Occasional Editorialist - Create Posted us tons of money over the years by custom sewing clothing and bedding that would have cost us much more if we had purchased it in a retail store. When we my children were infants, she sewed all of their crib bedding and even some matching curtains for the nursery room. She even made the little crib "bumper" to go around the bed.

When I was a kid, my grandmother was our source for custom sewed garments - she would make shorts, pants, and dresses for the grandkids. Heck, she even made me some of those long shorts called "jams". (It was the 80s, after all!) My wife now carries that torch, and she will likely save us tons of cash over the years on children's clothing. That beats paying full price for clothing that is only going to be worn for a month or two before being outgrown.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home