the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

coddled kids

We attended the elementary school open house for our daughter yesterday evening. As usual the "booster club" was there to try and get us excited about the concept of our children becoming door-to-door salesmen. But what struck as most odd were the suggestions that the teachers made to make things "easier" for our children, and the incentives being offered for doing their work.

I just don't understand it. Why do we now feel the need to offer contests and incentives to get our children to do their work? Although I sometimes was rewarded with a fancy dinner for a good report card, I never felt like I was doing my homework so that I could win some sort of plastic toy, or be involved in an end-of-the-year performer's pizza party. I did it because I understood that good grades would make my parents proud of me, and that it would help me later in life, should I decide to pursue higher education. I guess parents aren't communicating this message effectively anymore.

Our kids just seem so coddled these days. I know that part of it stems from technological advancements, but most of it feels downright ridiculous. It must be some sort of inherent American belief - that our children must have things easier than we did. But what if those very challenges that we faced as children helped to shape us as adults? What if our kids are too coddled? I can understand not wanting our children to suffer through situations that are beyond their control - problems related to physical health, for example. I, for one, will be happy to pick up the latest acne products for my child when they are dealing with the pain and embarrassment of acne in their teenage years. But I still plan on holding back when it comes to getting them their own cellphones. They can get a job when they want to start driving, so that they can pay for their own gas and car insurance. I don't plan on offering rewards for when they finish their homework, either. As school children, that's just part of their job. Call me old-fashioned...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home