the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Friday, July 04, 2008

a digital family heirloom?

When my children grow up, what type of family heirlooms will they receive from me? I have an old rocking chair that was passed down from my grandmother, and I have some old family photos, but when it comes to the photos that we have taken, many of them only exist in digital form.

At first, once we started using our digital camera in lieu of our 35mm, we would wait a month or two to get prints. That span eventually became six months, and then a year. Then we tried printing them ourselves, which we found to be costly and lacking in consistency. So we quit printing them altogether. It was too easy to just keep the photos on the PC, digital frame, or a disc that we can insert into our DVD player and view as a family. When I have time, I sit down and put together a slideshow, syncing the photos to music. Is this what I am supposed to hand over to our children when they have families of their own? One of the options that I have been considering are the print-on-demand services that allow you to upload photos which they will print into a nice hard-bound book for you. It's a little pricey, though.

I understand how much easier it is to just make copies of digital media for everyone, but it just doesn't seem very personal to me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home