the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, June 05, 2008

the garage sale career

Can you believe that there are people who make a living by running a year-long garage sale? Personally, I can barely make it through a weekend of running a garage sale, but I have been noticing that in many of the small Ozark towns there are folks who place permanent "yard sale" signs in front of their homes. Many of these homes have highway frontage, and bank on the fact that there are lots of out-of-town travelers passing by. But who in their right mind feels like manning a garage sale all year long? Certainly not me.

I can understand why someone might want to park used Harleys or classical cars that they have for sale in front of their homes, at least on weekends with high visibility, but I just don't have the patience to sit in my yard all day every day waiting for someone to buy my junk. I don't care how convenient it is - that form of "work from home" nickel and diming just has no appeal to me. Sometimes I think that these people are simply using their yard as a waste receptacle, and have no real intention of doing anything with it. If it sells, great. If not, they let it sit - in the rain, snow or shine.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home