the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, April 12, 2008

not really attached, anyways

The truth is that I've never been very attached to my "things". I do tend to be a pack rat - not because I am attached, though. Rather, I see the usefulness in certain objects and allow them to hang around if I think I can use them for something in the future. I am especially aware of the potential reuse of objects for tasks that they may not have originally been designed for. I'm also a sucker for a "deal". My wife and I have been known to pick up gifts on clearance from retail shops nine months before someone's birthday - because we know that it will *eventually* make a great gift.

At first I thought that my non-interest in material objects had to do with my lack of sentimental value in them. But that theory didn't fly when I realized that I never hung on to things like Birthday cards, awards, or certain photographs. In fact, I distinctly remember disassembling some of my childhood soccer trophies just so that I could reuse the marble block base.

Of course, my only real concern at this point is that many of the items that I would like to sell second-hand of are now worth next-to nothing. And although I can handle not having them anymore, I have a hard time giving them away for free (especially when I remember what I paid for them). I know that I should probably just rationalize it by remembering how much use I got out of them, but when I see something like a professional keyboard synthesizer that I paid $1600 for ten years ago sell for $150, it makes me a little ill. It also makes me feel like I should just go ahead and hang on to it, in case I ever feel the need to use it again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home