the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

hey HP, where's my ink credit?

I'd like to take a moment to rant about printer ink. This has got to be one of the biggest scams on the market right now. My printer just ran out of both ink cartridges and it is going to cost me $60 to replace them. What's even worse is that I could buy a new comparable printer (complete with new ink cartridges) for about $80. So, do I spend the $60 on new ink for my old printer with yesterday's technology and outdated warranty, or do I get a new printer with new features, fresh ink, and better drivers for a little more?

From an environmental perspective, it makes sense to keep using my existing printer, since is isn't broken, and just shell out the cash for the replacement ink. But the stick-it-to-the-man rebel inside me says not to fall into that trap, and that I should just consider dropping the extra $20 for the new printer.

Or, I could try one of those refurbished ink companies and cross my fingers that I won't have any of the problems that I see listed in the product reviews. (Don't even get me started on the mess we made with one of those refill-your-own ink kits.)

Regardless of which option I choose, this dilemma begs several questions...

1) If the two ink cartridges come bundled with the new printer for a total of only $80, are we paying like 800% markup on replacement ink or is the printer only worth $20?

2) How is it that every computer technology has continually dropped in price over the years except for printer ink?

3) Why can't I get a credit for the empty ink cartridge that I send back to them in their little recycling envelope? Aren't they going to sell it to those refurb companies and turn a profit?

Perhaps if the printer manufacturers were willing to share the credit with us, I'd be more willing to cooperate. Until then, I guess I'll be damned to hell for filling the landfills with outmoded printer technology.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home