the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, March 13, 2008

business without internet?

Lately, I've been feeling somewhat disenchanted by the internet again. In fact, I'm getting tired of using computers at all. I doubt that I could ever give up computers altogether, since my business relies on it. But it would be nice to lessen the time I spend using it. Perhaps I could find another type of business to run - something more manual, more blue collar, less "wired" and ephemeral? Only problem is...thanks to their customers' expectations, even those types of industries rely on computers, or they at least pay web people (like myself) to do it for them. It's a shame that they either have to waste time learning about software, or spend their hard-earned cash on it. I'm even part of the problem. Whether I'm looking for a plumber, roofer, or refrigerator repairman, my first stop is the internet, and I know that I'm not alone.

Even if non-web-based businesses aren't reliant upon the internet for their marketing and advertising, many of them use computer software for their time tracking, accounting, billing, and performance management. There are people in our town who don't have computers or the internet at home, and they visit the library often to make up for it. So maybe that is an option. Why not let the library worry about viruses and software upgrades, and internet access?

Perhaps that is my next step in trying to simplify my life. I can't see how it would hurt.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home