the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, January 12, 2008

printer manufacturers contribute to waste

Of all of the large product manufacturers out there, I am shocked that printer and ink cartridge manufacturers don't come under fire more often, when it comes to environmental sensitivity. I recently got the dreaded "low ink" alert from my HP printer the other day, and found that the color replacement cartridge costs $35! Even a "remanufactured" ink cartridge would cost me close to $20, and I've had lackluster results with those in the past. Don't even get me started on the supposed "refill" kits, either.

So, just out of curiosity, I looked at the price of a new comparable printer - $70. So, let's see. I can keep my old printer, pay $35 for a new color cartridge and $25 for a new black cartridge (when that runs out), or I can purchase a whole new printer (with included ink cartridges, better drivers and a fresh new warranty) for $10 more.

So it comes as no surprise to me that computer peripherals have become such a throwaway product. It's sickening to think of what the mark-up must be for ink cartridges, too. Printer and ink cartridge manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves, or rather they should be assessed unique landfill impact fees for their price fixing and how it leads to wasteful consumer practices.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home