the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, January 10, 2008

moving to canada to recover?

Speaking of health insurance, it's pretty sad, but my wife and I have decided that should one of us fall seriously ill, we will be heading up to Canada for treatment. I'm not talking common maladies like sinus infections and influenza, but nastier life-threatening diagnosis like cancer.

At least, that's what we think we will do. My mother-in-law is a Canadian citizen, and we have heard that my wife can get automatic citizenship because of that, which would make me a citizen as well. I know that the idea of hopping the border to receive free treatment may seem like cheating, but let's face it - I don't have the cash to pay for medical treatment of something major like cancer. Even with health insurance, the bills would pile up. And yes, I know that in Canada you sometimes have to wait several hours in a waiting room to be seen, but at least you don't get a bill several months later telling you that your claim has been denied because the doctor billed it incorrectly and they are sending you to collections. (Soooooo sick of that, by the way.)

Besides, if anyone in my family falls deathly ill, I'll make sure to move to an area of Canada with a higher doctor-to-population ratio to give us the best chance of having more efficient service. If for some reason we discover that we wouldn't be able to move to Canada for treatment, then I guess I'll have to stick around here and try my idea of posing as an illegal alien. After all, what good will my retirement savings do me if I have to blow them on bills for $7 hospital drinking straws and other overpriced medical supplies?

And for those who would cry the old "love it or leave it" chant, if my hands were tied and the situation was right, that's exactly what I will do! It's better than dying because you can't afford treatment.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home