the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Sunday, December 09, 2007

avg antivirus - fighting the good fight

Lately, I've been feeling a little guilty. I've been using Grisoft's phenomenal AVG antivirus program for a while now, and haven't had to pay a dime. It hasn't found anything for me to be concerned about on my computer, but I really appreciate the protection I feel I am receiving. I used t use the free program by AntiVir but it was a pain. The updates were cumbersome, and it definitely let you know that you were using the "free" version of the program. I tried the free version of Norton Antivirus that came with my computer and it was horrible. Not only did it miss all kinds of threats, but it would occasionally freeze my entire computer without notice. Regardless of how many times I tried to turn off its auto-scheduling functions, it somehow turned itself back on all the time. Norton used to be a big name in PC security. Now I can see why they offer their product for free with every new PC .

AVG has been different. It runs stealthily in the background, updates itself with little intervention from me, without interrupting what I am doing. So, I've been thinking about donating some money to the cause for their efforts. They want $52.95 for their full version, which seems a little high, but we all need to help those that are fighting the good fight. In fact, I think that the government ought to subsidize antivirus development firms as part of their anti-terrorism movement. It sure makes more sense than sending all of our troops to the middle east right now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home