the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Friday, November 16, 2007

defacing facebook for fun and profit

So what's the deal with Facebook? I have read that it is supposed to be the next Myspace, but I still don't get it. First off, we don't even get a dedicated profile URL to send people to - just some facebook address with a php "id=" numbered variable. While most of us are accustomed to sharing myspace profiles by telling someone our myspace username, on facebook we'll have to provide them with our id number. Gee, that's easy...not.

So now Facebook has just launched a music / business profile option, which is also confusing. I setup a profile page for my band, but have not figured out how to login to it. I basically have to login to my regular account and then search for my band page to manage it. You'd think that it would show up someone in my profile...like "these are the profiles you have access to manage". But it doesn't. Luckily, I added my band to "my music" so I have a quick link to to it. But I still need to login to my regular account first.

If there is one thing that I like about Facebook, it is how you can update profile fields simply by clicking on them. No need to load another page and click a "save": button. It's a slick feature that makes managing my info easy. Now I'd just like to know how I can customize the appearance of my Facebook profile page. I'm guessing that there are companies out there making applications to tweak one's Facebook image. I just haven't found them yet.

One thing is for sure. Whomever comes up with a truly simple interface for tweaking Facebook and explaining how it really works is bound to make some killer profit.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home