the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Monday, September 17, 2007

hunting for a response from hunter

I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the Hunter fan company. We moved into our home and replaced all but one of the ceiling fans - the one in our master bedroom. Unlike the ones that we replaced, it is fairly new and looks nice, fits well with our decor and it seemed to work okay - at first. However, it started acting a little strange after a few weeks. First, it started turning itself on in the middle of the night. We thought that there may be some sort of timer or thermostat control for it, but I couldn't find anything. Then, I figured that there might be a remote somewhere in our home that was sending out a signal at the same frequency that might be causing it to turn on. However, this was happening even when everybody was asleep - the fan would turn on automatically at midnight.

We just dealt with it for a while, and then it started acting out in other ways. At times, it wouldn't respond to the remote. We never could get it to switch directions - it would just make a clicking sound. Then it stopped working altogether. I have tried replacing the batteries to no avail. I dismounted the entire unit, checked the wiring and everything was in order. I am guessing that it is the remote signal receiver that is causing the trouble.

While I had the fan down on the ground, I was able to retrieve the serial number for it. I checked out the Hunter website to see what kind of warranty this fan is supposed to have. It supposedly has a limited lifetime warranty. In fact, Hunter advertises this warranty for all of their fans. So I submitted a request to their customer service via their website. I haven't received a response, and it has been several months. I've been meaning to call them up on the phone, since their web contact form is apparently worthless, but I will probably have to take the entire fan down to get to the serial number again. I thought I wrote it down somewhere, but of course I cannot find it now.

I must admit. This makes me feel a little leery about the fact that I replaced every other fan in my home with a Hunter fan.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home