the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, September 22, 2007

color and light

A few days ago, I mentioned that I was having a heck of a time removing some wallpaper in our bathroom. We finally managed to scrape all of the paper away, re-texture the wall repaint the room, and I just removed the blue painter's tape this afternoon. It looks great. The paint looks a lot darker at night than we were expecting, though. We were going for a very light green color - it was called "Glass Green". During the day, it looks as expected, but at night it's much more green. I hope we can live with it. I think we'll just have to - I don't feel like repainting again.

I always forget how different a room can look in different types of light. Sunlight can play tricks with the colors - both direct and indirect sunlight offers different hues at times. Then there are all of the different types of light bulbs that you can use. We've been trying to switch most of our fixtures to compact fluorescent bulbs lately, so that has been giving us a different shade of color than we were accustomed to in most of our rooms. And then one must consider the effects of different "filters" of lights: mini-blinds, curtains, even the occasional lampshade can throw an unexpected hue your way. It's amazing anyone ever gets the color they truly expected.

All in all, I guess it is best to try and not let it bother me. I don't see how interior designers can possibly plan for every possible light, filter and color combination and their effects, though. Talk about a losing battle!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home