the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

beyond the typical hardware store

After writing my last post, I started to wonder if perhaps I just haven't been looking in the right places for the right kind of home improvement products. The little local hardware store here in town is terribly expensive with many of the products they sell, and the bigger chains seem to all sell the same products. I even thought of looking into art supply stores that might sell some sort of texture appliqué that I could use to create a more interesting effect on my wall.

I often think that consulting with atypical sources can lead to some truly interesting results, as long as you select similar quality materials. One approach is to investigate other cultures. So what do they use to repair their walls in China? How about Brazil? Maybe they don't have drywall...

Home improvement products in other countries like the UK may offer some interesting alternatives, if the shipping and exchange rates are acceptable. One of the largest stores in the UK is called Anglian home improvements and they cover all kinds of unique product lines that we don't typically see here in the states. Why is it that I've never seen a traditional styled conservatory on any of the homes in the US? They have them in several styles from classic Victorian to more cottagey garden finishes. I don't even think I've seen them in the high end million dollar homes here in the US. Why not? They add such an elegant touch.

I guess I'm just tired of having the typical covered porch. So I've made the decision that my next home is going to have some sort of a conservatory outside...and zero wallpaper inside!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home