the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Rob Zombie Offers a New Treat For Halloween


It's August here in the South and the humidity is stifling, but I can smile a little because that means that fall is just around the corner. When it comes to living in this town, there are several types of pests that we have to deal with - spiders, snakes, mosquitoes and tourists. Fortunately, they are all seasonal and we get a good six months of nice weather and relaxed living.

In addition to the changing colors and lazy days, I am looking forward to my favorite holiday, Halloween. The town really gets into the spirit, and we even have a large haunted house attraction. When I was younger, I used to spend a bit of cash each year putting together a small haunted house of my own on my parent's front porch. It's a tradition that the neighbors eventually came to appreciate, and my mother has even said that they tell her that they miss it each year since I "grew up" and moved out.

One of these years, I will get back into that tradition and spend some time and cash presenting my new neighbors with some scary fun. Until then, we have fun taking the kids out to trick or treat and generally end up spending half the night watching scary movies. It seems like most of the "scary" movies coming out these days aren't very scary at all, though. The only films coming out that have any kind of disturbing flavor to them are the more independent releases. You know the type - veritably unknown actors, lots of blood and gore, bent sexual references. Generally, I'm referring to the type of flicks that the kids can't see...like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or Rob Zombie's twisted classic House of 1000 Corpses.

Fortunately for the those with a "fright-tooth" like myself, I have just learned that Rob Zombie has recently redone Halloween the movie, and it will be released on August 31st. At first, I was wondering why they didn't just wait until Halloween night for the release, as many horror movies have traditionally done. But then I remembered that I have gone out to see horror flicks at the movie theaters on Halloween night, and it sucks. There's something more "spooky" about watching a movie at night in the comfort of your own home, than in a sterile environment like one of those mega-plex cinemas.

So this means that instead of driving out to a movie theater on Halloween night, we get to take the kids trick-or-treating, tuck them into bed (if they can sleep on that sugar high), and curl up together to watch a good horror flick that is actually frightening (as opposed to being one of those high production movies that relies on cheap looking digital monsters). Also, let's not forget how much cheaper the popcorn is at home, either! I expect that Rob Zombie will bring some seriously sick and twisted new themes to the Halloween classic, and I'm sure there will be some equally menacing music in the soundtrack.

Check out the trailer from YouTube:


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home