the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, August 23, 2007

have credit cards changed or am I just getting older?

I recently ran into a bit of a crisis when my credit card went over limit due to an accidental double charge at the hardware store. I managed to get the hardware store to fix their overcharge, but it was too late and still showed up on my bill, along with an overdraft charge. I dreaded the idea of calling up the credit card company. Every time that I have had a problem like this in the past, it was like pulling teeth to get it resolved.

And in most cases, I get mad enough with their response that I cancel the card and start looking at other options. While I might not immediately run out and fill out the first credit card application that I find on the internet, I might start googling for the best deals out there. I'll break out the spectacles so that I can read the fine print on APR and variable rates, which aren't generally advertised in a very forthcoming manner at some websites.

Lately, there's been much talk of identity theft on the internet, and I tend to waft back and forth with my concerns. On one hand, I sometimes try to find pages like the one above for the uniquely shaped Mint credit card, where you fill out your name and address and they send you an application packet, instead of inputting all of my personal information right there on their website. But at other times, I ask myself what the difference is between submitting info on the internet and handing over a signed charge slip to the cashier at the local grocery store. But then, I remember all of those prying Russian eyes across the globe that manage to hack into sites like Monster. So maybe there is a difference.

Anyways, back to my original story. I was surprised when I called my credit card company because not only did they fix everything without an argument, but they even offered to increase my credit limit. I asked if they could increase by $1000 and they came back and offered me an increase of $3000 more. I think I actually surprised them when I said, "no thanks" and that $1000 more would suffice. I'm a firm believer in not having to much available credit. I know for a fact that it affects your credit score. It also makes things that much more annoying when your credit card number is stolen.

So what has changed over the years and why? My credit card company's customer service was friendly, and not belittling or intimidating in any way. But why? Is it because I am getting older and have better credit history? Or are they wising up? Could it be that credit card companies are starting to understand the benefit of easy card ownership, as opposed to just offering easy card obtainment?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home