the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Monday, August 06, 2007

the faux stainless mistake?

I'm getting a little worried about a decision that we made a year ago when moving into our home. The range was missing the the microwave was broken when we moved in, so we went out and ended up purchasing an entirely new set of appliances for the kitchen. We were intent on getting stainless, until we saw the prices. We settled on a faux stainless "silver mist" finish from Frigidaire, and have been happy with it thus far. My parents also picked up this same finish for a new refrigerator in their kitchen. Unfortunately, their refrigerator got scratched and he is now trying to find a way to fix the scratch. His first hurdle was to get some touch up paint. They kept sending him the wrong color. He now has an assortment of touch-up colors, form white to bisque to black...but no "silver mist".

This got me thinking. Did I make a mistake buying "silver mist" appliances? What happens if one appliance dies? Am I going to be able to pick up matching "silver mist" appliances in the future, or will this be a fad that dies away when the Frigidaire line gets fully absorbed by Electrolux? I don't believe that the stainless steel look is going anywhere but will the cost continue to decrease so that "silver mist" is no longer necessary as a stainless alternative? Gee, I really hate to think that i have saddled myself with "proprietary" appliances that i will never be able to match in the future, should one fail.

As it is, this type of finish is already difficult to match up to overhead stainless fixtures, knobs and kitchen faucets. I suppose that I could always replace them in black if/when they fail. I guess that at this point I just need to hope that they last a while and give us several years of good performance. It just worries me that we've had to call on the refrigerator's ice maker three times already...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home