the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

balancing acoustics and natural light


I have been having a bit of trouble lately trying to get the right balance of treated acoustics and natural light for my office space. Seeing as my office is in the basement, I had some pretty harsh acoustics and have been working hard on treating the room. My three primary goals in doing this are - softened reflections, quiet working environment, and the ability to play some music loud without bothering the rest of the house with the noise.

Unfortunately, the location of the doors, closet and windows presents a few problems. I have an L-shaped desk that is difficult to place and further complicates the problem. In addition, I don't want to be sitting with a window to my back, as I can't stand the glare while working on the computer. So I have been looking for some vertical blinds for a set of french doors that will still let in some natural light, but not the glare. It has been difficult to find a solution that will work, as many vertical blinds are made of opaque sound-reflective materials such as wood and vinyl. There is the option of tilting the veins so that light can enter at an angle, though.

Another option might be to order a set of those fabric honeycomb blinds. They are quite sheer and almost glow with natural light, and I am wondering if they might also contribute more to acoustical absorption. I believe that there are acoustics and sound companies that manufacture specific blinds and curtains for acoustical treatment, but I am sure that their prices would be untouchable.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home