the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Monday, March 05, 2007

when to go virtual

I recently decided to make the switch from shared web hosting to a virtual private server. At $50 a month, it was a difficult decision, but one that I had been contemplating for the last several months. Shared hosting just wasn't cutting it for. For one, there were domain limitations that I had to deal with. I know that there are other hosts out there that offer cheaper shared plans with better domain options that what I was getting, but the customer service that I experience with WebHSP has been utterly phenomenal. Paying a little extra each month is worth it if it means that I get tech support responses in ten minutes, which is about the average that I have been experiencing.

The other problem that I was having with shared hosting was some occasional server lag from the other sites on my shared server. Many were running intensive flash and PHP scripts that flooded the server now and then, resulting i performance hits on my own websites. Now that I am living off of the web, I figured that it was a good idea to get my own virtual private server so that I can better manage and maintain my own server resources. For $50 a month, I get to host/resell as many domains as I will need to, and get my own private server so I don't have to worry about anyone else's sloppy programming affecting the server performance.

My move ot the virtual server should happen soon. I hope that everything goes smoothly. I backed up all of my SQL databases just in case. VPS Hosting isn't cheap, but then again, neither is losing traffic due to shared server issues.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home