the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, March 10, 2007

robot ethics?

The BBC recently released an article covering some theories and speculation surrounding robot ethics. According to the article, groups of expert robot-enthusiasts in North Korea and Europe are said to be investigating the ramifications of robotic infusion in the home, what type of rules should be followed, and what type of potential rights these robots should be given.

It's all very interesting, and serves as a stark reminder that movies like Bicentennial Man and AI may not be so far off the mark, when it comes to the place of robots in the home. In fact, it seemed like Bicentennial Man copied Isaac Asimov's "laws of robotics" from the 1940's almost verbatim. Already, we have robotic vacuum cleaners and toys. My kids have Furby's and "Tickle me Elmo" dolls that project the appearance of intelligence. Even in the fifties, children's cartoons (like Gumby), and science fiction movies presented us a glimpse of future worlds dependent on machines, and it seems as though we are not too far off.

Lately, my luddite streak has been getting the best of me, and I am starting to believe that technology may be getting the better of us. The more time I spend on the internet, the more I find it growing ridiculous. I suspect that the neo-luddite movement may gain more loyalty in the near future if we continue to see this push into inhuman (and often inhumane) progress at the detriment to social interaction and self-enlightenment.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home