the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Friday, March 02, 2007

the pc case fan conspiracy?

Is it just me or are the screws that they send with case fans just too large? I just spent a half of an hour trying to torque some screws into a new case fan for my pc, and it was a pain. The AC8 fan, by Arctic Cooling, is great - it "floats" on rubber mounts and is as quiet as I wanted it to be (unlike the Masscool fan that I had purchased and will return to NewEgg soon). But the screws that they sent are huge, and I was afraid that I was going to break the plastic mounting base of the fan.

Believe it or not, the cheap Masscool fans (I bought a case of 10) had smaller screws, but I need to return them with all the hardware to get my full refund. Otherwise, I would swap them out with the clunky screws form the Arctic Cool fan. I'm really not sure why they feel the need to send such large screws. Are they worried about them getting loose or something? Like I said, I think it may be a conspiracy so that you break the mounting base when you go to install it, and have to buy a new one. And of course, the screws are an odd size and I'm not sure if I could pick some up with the correct thread pattern at a regular hardware store like Home Depot. All I can say is that this new fan better not break or quit working, because the screws are so tight that I'm not sure if I can unscrew it from the case anymore.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home