the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Friday, March 02, 2007

hunger and other stories


"He moved funny too, walking as if he were once taken apart and put back together wrong..."

I just finished reading an excerpt from a book titled Hunger and Other Stories by Ian Randall Wilson. It was rather interesting, as it described the relationship of a man and his father in a metal shop and how he and a man named "Emmanuel" built toys (and the occasional artificial limb) out of scrap metal. I like how the author describes the "strap look" that the father gives his son every so often - I can relate to that look, and I do my best not to give it to my own children. His relationship is similar to my own with my father, in that nothing that anyone does is "good enough". The excerpt feverishly ends in possible murder and arson. Does he kill his own father? Not quite, but I won't give it away. You can read the excerpt yourself and pick up the book if you're interested.

The writing is intense at times, and the descriptions are poignantly expressed.

Here's the cover of the book:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home