the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, March 01, 2007

comparison shopping

Lately, I've started to realize that the time that I spend trying to compare prices ends up negating any savings that I find. When trying to find the best deals on computer parts, for example, I end up spending an hour trying to save a few bucks on a $10 case fan. Is it really worth my time? One of the main problems has to do with "hidden" costs. Many sites don't advertise their shipping and handling costs, and many of them like to surprise you with sales tax at the last minute (whether they really have a store in your area or not!).

I guess that like anything, the answer lies in moderation. I wouldn't advocate just jumping at the first price you find, but don't waste too much time bouncing back and forth. If you find a similar price at several stores, and you're not shopping for such a high dollar item, you might as well grab it instead of wasting too much time. I don't know about you, but spending an hour to save four dollars isn't worth my time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home