the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Monday, March 26, 2007

cms - buckle up and pray

One thing that I have noticed about CMS systems is that they *do not* play well together. Trying to migrate from one system to another tends to be a nightmare, and you often end up with bogus MYSQL, lost data, and random errors from tables that don't quite match. Why does this strike me as odd, though?

Honestly, it doesn't. After all, if I spent so much time writing a piece of software for free, am I going to pour additional time in converting other software suites to be imported? I have heard some good occasions of importing into Wordpress, but in some cases, it was because the info being imported (like b2evo) was based on the same original codework.

In my case, I just went through a considerably nasty case of trying to import b2evo into Drupal. I ended up manually importing some of the content, and I still don't have the comments fixed.

Words to the wise - do your homework before picking a CMS or blogging platform, because trying to move it later can be a real headache.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home