the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Saturday, February 10, 2007

travel quota

When I was a kid, my father always planned a vacation for us each year. Even if he didn't have the cash, he broke out the credit cards and found something fun for my family to see. We had numerous station wagons and minivans throughout the years, and my father was not afraid to use them. He always told me that annual family vacations, no matter how frustrating they often end up, are an absolute must. Now that I am a father myself, I am starting to see the value in his philosophy.

Less than a year ago, I was racking up several dozen hotel nights a year traveling for work. It was a bit too much for a family man, and I am glad that I am out of that habit. Like anything in life, I suppose that it is best to partake in these types of activities "in moderation". Since I quit that job and we have moved, we haven't traveled at all, and I am starting to feel a little "cooped up". There are a number of natural attractions that I would like to see near our new hometown, but the cold weather limits the amount of time we'd like to spend outdoors. The last thing I need is for my kids to get sick - they get enough of that being in school.

It makes me wonder, though. Do people have a pre-conceived subconscious travel "quota" that they innately feel that they must meet each year? And if they don't, does their well-being suffer in some way? Is there an actual mental need for "new scenery" nourishment every so often, or is it just a cure for boredom and the winter time blues?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home