the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, February 01, 2007

sports and the net

A few years ago, a client approached me with an interest in starting a fantasy football site. At the time, it was something that I had never heard of before. He quickly filled me in on the details, and after a bit of searching, I realized what a huge phenomenon it had become. Nowadays, we have "fantasy" everything on the net - many of the different sports are covered.

Like every other hobby or interest, I guess that I shouldn't be surprised that sports have become so hugely popular on the net. From "fantasy" gaming to sports equipment, auctions, clubs and forums, sports is everywhere. It's a bit ironic. Just as sports has assimilated the internet, the internet is now attempting to assimilate sports. For example, did you hear that GoDaddy, one of the net's most popular internet registrars, attempted to purchase a commercial slot for the Superbowl?

I think that the fact that a domain registrar is willing to pay so much money for a lead slot during the Superbowl tells us allot about how our American way of life has been assimilated by the web. GoDaddy's offer wasn't accepted due to the potential "innuendos" behind their name (who's your daddy?), but there's always next year.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home