the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Monday, February 12, 2007

safety deposit inbox?

For a while now, I had considered digitizing most of my important paperwork, burning it onto DVD-R's and storing them in a safety deposit box somewhere. However, assuming that the data isn't too sensitive, it also might makes sense to store it somewhere online. Now that everyone and their brothers has access to the internet and everyone and their savvy brothers have their own website, it is fairly safe to assume that many of them should now understand the basics of FTP. That being said, secure online information storing sites might be the next big thing on the net.

I first stumbled upon this idea several years ago, when our home insurance agent suggested that we make a list of all of our high dollar items in the house, and let him store it in our file in his office. That way, if we were ever robbed or had a catastrophic fire, we would still have a record of it. In addition to his suggestion, I had also uploaded it into a password protected directory on my web server.

I never realized that I might actually be part of the digital archiving trend that is now taking the world by storm.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home