the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

handmade sites or cms?

Lately, I've fallen into the habit of porting many of my websites into Drupal. I just can't resist the functionality that it offers. It is very robust, and takes minimal effort to understand how it works, assuming that you have some web design and PHP background experience. After all, who feels like handcoding security into login and database scripts if you can just load up Drupal and it's done?

However, one of the things that is starting to drive me up a wall is hacking their CSS styling. Simple tasks (like removing a border from a table) that normally took me a few seconds of coding and few more to upload can now take up to an hour just to try and figure out all of the places where they are referencing that table in the code. I'll change what I believe to be the appropriate rule, but it won't work. Then I find out that there's another reference somewhere changing that CSS rule. It's very frustrating. The new color-changing features make it even more confusing. In addition, you can always expect Microsoft Internet Exploder to screw something up that looks perfect in Firefox. (I suppose I shouldn't lay this down too thick, though, as one of the Drupal problems that I am seeing now (which has to do with tables nested within div's) is only showing up in Firefox.)

I'm also anxiously waiting for some of the plugin modules to be ported in Drupal 5. The "Service Links" module is high priority on that list. I wonder what other bookmarking/tagging sites they will have added to that module.

In a nutshell, it is important to make sure that we don't start porting everything into CMS systems simply because of the built-in functionality. If it makes more sense and will be much quicker to just hand-code the site, we should take that route instead. Like everyday living, it's easy to get caught up in the "bells and whistles" that are offered and fail to see how much more complicated these "innovations" are making our lives.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home