the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

high class evening


Over the years, I've become more and more creative when planning special evenings with my wife. It's not very often that we find babysitters and make special plans, so when we do, I try to make it a "once-in-a-lifetime" event. For example, on one occasion, I went with a Caribbean theme. We started off with dinner at a Jamaican restaurant (Caribbean Breeze, which since closed down), and I (of course) played Harry Belafonte in the car. We ended our date at a special performance of Caribbean music, as adapted by a local orchestra. It was a fun night and we had a blast. A little pricey, but like I said - it's a rare occasion that we get to do this, so make it count.

Here's a similar idea that you might want to try out. First, rent a tuxedo, buy her a fancy dress and take her to an opera house in a limo. Personally, I'd shoot for an old Rolls for an added "old world" touch of luxury. Then in the tradition of "going all out" and trying to truly follow the opera theme, why not sit in balcony box seats and pick up a pair of real opera theater glasses for her? You know which ones I am talking about. They are the same ones you have seen in movies. At first, I thought that the only place you might be able to find some would be at an antique shop or Ebay. Good luck on finding working ones, though. In fact, I had almost given up on this idea, or at least placed it on the backburner for now.

Then I happened across a binocular store on the web that was listed in the latest list of PPP opps. Much to my surprise they actually carry new theater glasses. They are blue and silver with the little arm attachment like you have seen in the movies. For some reason, I never thought to search a binoculars store for theater glasses. None-the-less, this Eagle Optics store has a large selection and offers free financing for 90 days for all orders over $200. So you get to cushion that blow to your wallet for this high class evening on the town.

While you are at it, why not finish off the night with a carriage ride, roses, or a special gift? I know that it sounds a little corny, and I'm not usually one to "dress up" like this for just one evening, but she'll appreciate it and it will definitely be a night to remember.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home