the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Thursday, January 25, 2007

buzzmarketing


Following on the theme of guerrilla marketing, here's another golden nugget that is sure to impress. A guy named Mark Hughes apparently put Ebay's Half.com website "on the map" by renaming a town in Oregon from Halfway to Half.com. It makes me wonder how many other towns there are out there with .com in their name - I would assume that there aren't too many. And I'd like to see it stay that way, but I guess I'm just old fashioned. On the bright side, at least he is renaming inanimate objects and not other people's children. But I wonder how the people of the town felt about it. I'm sure Ebay wasn't complaining, though, as his tactics helped to bring in a colossal eight million registered users in just under three years.

Most successful guerrilla marketing campaigns seem to straddle a thin line between brilliant and ridiculous. Hughes is now offering his uncanny brand of guerrilla marketing expertise as a professional speaker. He also wrote a successful book on the topic titled "Buzzmarketing".

Now I'm off to look for sleepy towns that might be receptive to the idea of being renamed so that I can gain some readership for this blog. So if you seen "Occasional Editorialist, Wyoming" on your maps in a year or so, you'll know where I got the idea.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home