the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

anti-antibiotics

I've always been one of those guys who hates going to the doctor, and refuses to do so unless I feel like I just can't kick something. In most cases, the doctor prescribes me some antibiotics and a $40 cough syrup and I'm on my way to recovery in a week or so. However, there are side effects to this "one treatment cures all" approach.

For one thing, antibiotics aren't all they're cracked up to be. My uncle, for example, is convinced that the human body is slowly getting immune to many of our antibiotics and that we're going to have to continually enhance them to keep them effective. Personally, I have two problems with them. One is that I often wonder whether I would have gotten over the illness on my own in about the same amount of time. The other is whether the stomach ailments that follow a regimented dose of antibiotics are worth the so-called "cure".

Sure, you may have kicked the cough and the fever, but now your intestines get to try and re-establish themselves, since all of the "good" bacteria was killed along with the bad bacteria. It reminds me of that slogan that you often see at army surplus stores - "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out."

Since I'm getting annoyed with the ill effects of antibiotics, and also since I'm self employed and I am tired of paying so much for them with my much-to-be-desired health insurance, I have discovered that there are healthier and more agreeable treatments that rival antibiotics in their effectiveness.

One such product is called natural d-mannose, and it is a glyconutrient-based sugar product. It is free of additives and completely natural, meaning that your E. Coli issues will be dealt a swift blow the next time you use the restroom. No prescription is needed, and there are no nasty side effects like the possibility of developing bladder infections or cystitis. Since it is sold in powdered form, there are no huge nasty tasting "hoss pills" to try and swallow and it can easily be mixed with a drink of juice or water.

I'm always excited when mankind discovers (or rediscovers) natural remedies in lieu of doctor prescribed medication. As something of a consumer advocate, it also plays right along with my belief in getting the cost of health care out of the control of insurance companies and overpriced physicians.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home