the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

public land trust?

I'm getting a little frustrated, as I contacted the Trust for Public Land organization several weeks ago, trying to find a contact for my area, and have yet to receive a response. I am starting to believe that some of these supposed "green-friendly" not for profit organizations are not all that their websites describe them to be. Here I am, a concerned citizen asking for some advice, or in this case, a mere contact name and number for someone who can answer some questions, and I get zero response. Maybe it's the non-profit nature of the beast. Maybe they didn't get enough "donations" this year to have any sort of concentrated customer support.

In the meantime, I have a number of fellow citizens who are looking to discuss the means to which we could start identifying lands in town that need to be preserved for green space, parklands, and natural areas. And I don't kow what to say or where to begin! Maybe I need to find some other not for profit organization to send my request to. It's a shame, though, because the literature available at their website seemed so promising. They advertised their service as a way to walk people through the necessary steps involved for "greenprinting" and following up with a solid strategy.

Maybe I should try contacting them again...send it to another email address or something. Or maybe I should try another organization, or both!

Oh, maybe it's just the holidays and nobody has any time.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Howdy,

Sorry to hear that you've been waiting to hear back from TPL. It's a very busy time of year for land trusts and I'm sure that TPL is just as swamped as we are. I work with the information services program at the Land Trust Alliance. The Alliance promotes voluntary land conservation and strengthens the land trust movement by providing the leadership, information, skills and resources land trusts need to conserve land for the benefit of communities and natural systems.

Among other things, the Alliance is very busy working to make permanent the recently approved expansion of the federal tax incentive for conservation easement donations, along with several reasonable reforms to help prevent abuse of that incentive. I know that TPL has been busy with this policy effort as well. So, please bear with us during this important time. And please help to support the effort by letting your members of Congress know how much this means to you and to land conservation in America.

Visit our website for information about various land conservation transactions - including conseration easements. http://www.lta.org/faq/.

Also, please visit the Find a Land Trust section of our site for a listing of local land trusts in your area - http://www.ltanet.org/findlandtrust/.

I hope this information helps and I also hope you continue to support the very important work done by all land trusts throughout the country. You might be interested to know that land trusts have recently made significant gains in protecting our natural landscapes. If you'd like more information about the great successes that land trusts have achieved please see the results of the 2005 National Land Trust Census on our website at - http://www.lta.org/census/.

Take care,
Stephen Outlaw
Land Trust Alliance

10:40 AM

 
Blogger canal boy said...

Thanks, Stephen. I will follow those links you provided and see if I can find a willing ear.

Thanks again for commenting!

10:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home