the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

the optics illusion

Not too long ago, I posted a little story about the changing universe, or at least how our definitions of the universe are changing, including the reclassification of planets like Pluto. I mentioned that this may be a good reason to pick up astronomy as a hobby, so that what our kids are learning in school (which tends to be different from what we learned) can somehow be taught to us, as well.

For the longest time, I always assumed that getting back into astronomy would be quite expensive. After all, the optics for SLR cameras don't seem to have come down in price much over the years, and telescopes used to be a bit pricey for the good brands.

However, I just ran across a store listed at PayPerPost called Optics Planet that has some great deals on all kinds of optical devices, from high-end telescopes and binoculars to radar detectors and sunglasses. I must admit that I was rather surprised to see telescopes with built-in computerized controllers and tripods selling for less than $300. I am guessing that the price of telescopes has changed quite a bit over the last ten years since I had my astronomical binoculars. In fact, I know that it has, because the Celestron binoculars that I used to have are now selling for less than $225, and that includes a free tripod.

The site also offers free UPS shipping on orders over $30. Why not surprise your kids with a pair of monster binoculars this Christmas? Trust me - You'll never think of binoculars the same way again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home