the truth, the whole truth, the knock you on your butt truth...

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Car dealerships AKA crooks?

So, what is the deal with car dealerships?

Is it not enough that they charge outrageous prices for labor?
Do they also have to mark up parts at a 500% profit?

For example, I recently took my vehicle in for the infamous "check engine" light. First, they socked me with a $50 fee to "scan the code" and tell me what the problem was. Now I see why people buy their own codereaders (even if they do cost $200+). After all, if you use it 3 or 4 times, it's paid for. Then, they proceeded in adding another $437 for a $90 part (readily available from auto parts stores), and wanted another $200 to install the part.

So what's the answer, you may ask?
FIX IT YOURSELF!

That's what I have decided. Only problem is...many of the newer cars these days are being made so that you cannot fix them yourself. Hell, I've even seen cars with such complex and inaccessible engine compartments that you can't even change your own sparkplugs. If I wanted an engine that was hard to access, I would have picked up an old Delorean!

Old American cars are the only way to go. You can figure out how the engine works, how to take it apart, and finding silly things like the air cleaner don't require excessive thought. Plus, the old adage of "beat it 'til it fits" still holds some water since you're working with more metal and less plastic crapola.

I guess I gotta get an older car again. I miss my early 70's orange beast, anyways...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home